Monday, 12 October 2015

Baptism by Fire and Moved!

Wow! What a week.
First thing Monday morning - a week ago - I arrived at my new job! I was expecting a little bit of an introductory period...but I have been thrown in and have hit the ground running.
They don't have a any existing training for their clients. Each time (as the product is heavily customized for each customer) ad hoc training takes place. As they are introducing a new product on a new platform they want a more generic - on line training that can be customized for each customer. It can be done. The first training deliverable is required by mid-November and they have hired a training firm to create the first piece. Alas, the document they sent them to develop the training from is generated from the programmers' coding notes...
To keep the mid-November deadline, I am rewriting the document that was sent and the training developing company will have it tomorrow. This is a good thing. I am learning a lot about the product as I fix the document and that will make the next steps better.
Also this past week, I have been busy picking up things for my new apartment, getting all the lease  documents in place and Friday I started moving in. What a hectic couple of days! Friday evening I picked up a mattress and a bunch of Ikea stuff. I then drove out to  my sister's, got the things I had purchased through the week and my clothes.
Saturday, the cable guy came and set up my internet (and cable) then I made another trip to Ikea and my sister, brother-in-law, nephew and his girlfriend came over and put all the Ikea stuff together while I went to get my sofa. I came back empty handed, but that was because all they had left was the floor model and they kindly offered to deliver it to me on Sunday. I spent the evening finding places to put stuff. I can't get over how wonderful my family was in helping me with all that furniture! (And taking all the boxes out to the trash). Everything has to go in the elevator up and down 7 floors. And they jumped in and did it.
Early Sunday, the sofa arrived and I went back out to pick up some essentials (like plants, food, a toaster, etc.) Here are some shots of what has come together in the last 2 days:
First - the view! 

 The Living Room, this is with the grey cushions my sister gave me.
The sofa with its cushions - I'm trying to decide which I like better, and they are both comfortable.
The bathroom, though the bathtub is smaller than I am used to (I had a soak on Saturday night) the shower is terrific and the square sink is cool!
The bedroom with my "girlie" bed! Thanks Justin, I know it was hard to put together and I LOVE that you did it. I would still be cursing at the allen keys Ikea gives you.
The "dining" room. I bought 2 office chairs and 2 folding chairs for the table. I like using my computer at a table and not on my lap on the sofa so the comfortable office chairs also make great dining chairs.
 I love the kitchen - hi-gloss cupboards, corian counters, square sink, stainless appliances...but the cupboards hare really high! I need a step stool to put most everything in them. 
Kitchen and Dining from the living room. (Don't mind the pile of boxes to go down to the trash in the corner by the door.)
The living room from the kitchen.

Yes, there are still things to get, but there is enough here for me to be comfortable without them.

I am hoping I will blog a little more next week with a little less about work and moving. There is so much to do and see here in the lower mainland that I would love to share with you!
Háws dáng hl kíngsaang
(I will see you soon)
Barb











12 comments:

  1. Wow you accomplished a LOT in a very short period of time and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds like heavily busy! How nice of your family to pitch in so willingly (and efficiently!). Your new place looks really lovely, and the job sounds like it will keep you well occupied! Enjoy!

    #1 and The Gang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how things look! Can't believe you've done SO MUCH in so short a time......sounds like you have the new job well in hand too.

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness Barb! You really have hit the ground running! You've achieved an awful lot in a very short time!! Your new apartment looks totally fab!! More power to your elbow! Hugs and pawpats, Caro and the Tux xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your apartment looks great! I am glad you are getting on well with your new job and hopefully things will calm down a bit before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your apartment is great! And we know you'll do well with your new job. Purrs....

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love your new apartment, Barb! How special that your family jumped right in to get it all set up. :)

    Your new job sounds so exciting. You're going to do great. We know it!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barb you are amazing..you have grabbed this with both hands and run..i am in awe and i am not surprised one bit that your family has helped..you are clearly very loved indeed..i love your new home and it looks so tranquil too...i have never had a home by myself and can imagine the excitement and a bit of trepidation as well..you will thrive in your new job i am sure if it is approached the same way you approach life..we wish you nothing but happy times here and send all our love Bev and the gang xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barb you are amazing..you have grabbed this with both hands and run..i am in awe and i am not surprised one bit that your family has helped..you are clearly very loved indeed..i love your new home and it looks so tranquil too...i have never had a home by myself and can imagine the excitement and a bit of trepidation as well..you will thrive in your new job i am sure if it is approached the same way you approach life..we wish you nothing but happy times here and send all our love Bev and the gang xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are creating quite a cozy spot fur yourself!
    Good thing your kind family helped you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did so much and it looks fabulous! Sometimes less is more. when my peeps moved, they threw most of their stuff out and vowed now to get more. They lied as now this place is as cluttered as the other place in only a dozen years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great Barb! Welcome home :)

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete