Thursday, 29 October 2015

Veggan Quiches

I have been making quiche for years.
I first learned how from a Swiss Camp Cook in Thompson Manitoba when I was 19. She called it an Egg and Cheese and Onion Pie. And I have been making them ever since. They are my "go to" when I need to take something to a pot luck when I am not sure there is enough room in a fridge for something to be kept cold.
Quiches are wonderfully versatile, you can serve them hot, room temperature or cold. If I put bacon or shrimp or ham in them, I prefer to have them kept cold and then heated. If I don't know, I make Vegetable Quiche and bring homemade salsa (tomorrow I am bringing Peach Salsa I made during the summer),


 Here is my recipe:

Vegetarian Quiche

ingredients:

  • 1 - 9 inch unbaked pie shell
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, butter, canola
  • 1/2 cup sliced onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup chopped diced tomato
    (or if you want it fancy, slice a whole tomato + 2 tbsp flour)
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 3 eggs (beaten)
  • 1/2 cup milk (or cream)
  • salt, pepper
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (I used pre-shredded Italian)

directions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. 
  2. Stab the pie crust with fork our put in pie weights, otherwise it will not lie flat. Put in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. 
  3. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees.
  4. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, add the onions and yellow peoppe and cook until they start to soften (about 5 minutes) add the sliced mushrooms and cook for another 2-4 minutes. 
  5. Set the veggies aside to cool.
  6. If you want to fry the tomato slices, sprinkle with the flour and basil and cook in the skillet 1 minute per side.
  7. Whisk the eggs, milk and salt and pepper (to taste, personally I never cook with salt) in a small bowl.
  8. Put 3/4s of the cheese in the bottom of the pie crust. Layer the fried veggies over the cheese and top with tomatoes (stir the basil into the tomatoes if you did not fry them). 
  9. Then pour the egg mix into the shell. Be careful, you may need a fork to move the veggies and cheese around to get it all in.
  10. Bake in a preheated oven until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (about 40-45 minutes).
  11. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. 
I usually serve a mild quiche with salsa instead of regular ketchup. Quiches make a great breakfast, lunch or dinner and go well with a side of potatoes, salad or soup.

Adding the fun stuff!

A quiche takes 2 cups of ingredients. You can adjust these to your own preferences.
I make them full size and I make them as tarts. Quiche recipes are forgiving so long as you get the proportions of the egg to milk/cream correct (3 eggs to 1/2 cup cream or milk).
If  you like traditional spinach quiche, I recommend you wilt the spinach (throw it in a hot fry pan for a couple of minutes). Hard crunchy veggies need a bit of cooking, cut them small, add a little water throw them in the microwave for a couple of minutes usually works. Don't add too much bacon, more than 1/3 of a cup of cooked bacon or ham can make your quiche too salty, as can adding too much cheese! Some cheeses are quite salty.
I like a Greek quiche with kalamata and black olives, a hard salami, red, and yellow pepper, spinach, sliced grape tomatoes and feta cheese (yummy with an Onion and Cucumber salad). Another favorite is smoked salmon, green onions, asparagus, red peppers and diced cream cheese.
The possibilities are endless.

Note: Start to finish, a quiche takes an hour and a half. Quite often I will buy frozen pie shells, and cook them the day before. I will use a hand chopper for the ingredients and it takes me only 15 minutes to pull the ingredients together to put in the crust. I usually try to make 2 - 9 inch at the same time.
Cooked quiche freezes extremely well. Let cool overnight then put in a large ziploc bag.
Let thaw before reheating in a 350 degree oven for 1/2 hour. Oh yes, don't forget to take the quiche out of the bag before reheating!






10 comments:

  1. OOH! This sounds delicious, Barb! We are TOTALLY going to make these soon. Thank you for the recipe!

    Hugs to you, and the gang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy I'll have to remember this one,xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! It's breakfast here and The Staff says she could eat one right now!! MOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a super recipe, many thanks! is there a trick what we can do when the smoked salmon is extremly salty? it's sometimes a little too much specially when it gets hot :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had one, alas, the only tick I know is to put in less :(

      Delete
  5. Mmmm! MMMM!
    YUMMY!
    We are sure to have the four footed ones here to try and snag a bit, even Minko might deign to sniff or lick...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delish! I love quiche - always have - and they're simple to make plus you can put pretty much ANYTHING in them and they're fabulous!!!!

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yummy, I am going to make this this week! Thanks for sharing!
    Marty's Mom Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. TW says that looks so delish. She loves spinach quiche but I prefer bacon in mine. Of course, she lets ShopRite do the making and she heats it up.

    ReplyDelete