Monday, 14 March 2016

By Request - Chicken Gumbo Soup

We've had some requests for soup recipes, rather than send them out individually, I will post them here, that way, everybody can get them. First off the list is Chicken Gumbo Soup!


Chicken Gumbo Soup

 Ingredients:


  • 2 tsp cooking oil
  • 3 chicken breasts, deboned, cooked, diced (or 2 cups cooked chicken)
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1-6 cloves garlic (depending on how much you like garlic)
  • 4 cups chicken broth (or homemade stock)
  • 1-2 cups white wine
  • 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, un-drained (or 3 diced tomatoes)
  • 1⁄3 cup green pepper, diced
  • 1⁄3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
  • 1 cup sliced okra
  • 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Worcestershire or Louisiana Hot Sauce and salt to individual taste.
Directions:
  1. In your soup pot, heat the oil and slowly cook the onion garlic and celery until the onion is translucent.
  2. Add all ingredients, except the wine, okra and rice.
  3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Add 1 cup of wine, okra and rice and return to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the rice is tender.
  5. If the liquid gets too low, add more wine.
  6. Remove bay leaf and serve with salt and Worcestershire or Louisiana Hot Sauce to individual taste

How to make the best chicken stock in the world without spending a whole bunch of Money.

 I like to buy those store bought roast chickens. After we have had a meal, I pull all the meat off and make stock from the bones. This is a good way to get some great leftover chicken meat (think sandwiches or Chicken-a-la-king) and have a really great flavorful stock.

To make my chicken stock I throw in the bones, add a couple of sticks of large sliced celery (including the leaves), a sliced carrot (I often use those ones that are not as appealing to eat raw...you know, the floppy ones, or the baby carrots that have gone a little white), a rough sliced onion, and some peppercorns, and if I have one, a Leek (actually any old veggies in the fridge are are great).
Then I cover the whole lot with water and simmer the heck out of it for 3 hours, or until I go to bed. 
The next morning I put the whole pot in the fridge and when I get home from work, most of the fat has solidified on the top of the stock. I take that off, strain the liquid and throw the bones and veggies out. I then Freeze the stock in 1 cup containers until I need it.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, and thanks for the chicken stock recipe too. Sounds much better than using stock cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! This looks delicious, Barb. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY!!

    Great way to use the bones up...less waste and way better than storebought. You can spice it up any way you need ti...or not.

    MIAOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm - sounds yummy. Now, if I can get mom to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh boy - this really does sound fabulous......I've got it on the "GOTTA DO THIS" list!

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely scrumptious sounding!! Can smell it already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhh thank you!!!! I have been really under the weather and haven't been blogging/checking my friends blogs and am OVERJOYED to see this!!!
    Luvs
    Marty's Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete