Sunday, 10 April 2016

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Around noon today, I was wondering what I could make for supper with stuff I had in the fridge, freezer and the cupboards.
I wanted something filling, tasty and lo cal. I also wanted something with a kick. I checked and I had everything I needed to make Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Frozen chicken and chicken stock, canned corn, black beans, fire roasted diced tomatoes, a red pepper, a onion, tortillas ... easy peasy!
And the best thing is--that from start to finish, it takes only an hour (even though it tastes even better after the flavors meld.

Here's the picture!

AND here's the recipe!



Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:

·         1 teaspoon canola oil
·         1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
·         2 large jalapeƱo peppers, seeded and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
If you don’t like hot, 1 diced red pepper (or a combination)
·         2 tablespoons tomato paste
·         I can diced tomatoes (choose fire roasted or chili for extra flavor)
·         1/2 cup frozen (or canned) whole kernel corn
·         1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
·         1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained or 3 small tomatoes, diced
·         32 ounces (1 carton) Chicken Broth
·         Check and season to taste, if you want it hotter, add your favorite hot pepper sauce
·         2 cups shredded cooked chicken
·         Garnish: Cilantro, Shredded Cheese, fried tortilla strips, broken tortilla chips, diced green onions, avocado and/or sour cream.

Process:

  1. Heat the oil in a 6-quart pot over medium-high heat.
  2. Add the onion and peppers and cook for 2 minutes or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.
  3. Stir in the tomato paste, corn, beans, tomatoes, broth and chicken and heat to a boil.
  4. Reduce the heat to low.
  5. Simmer for 15 minutes, check the seasoning. Then add the chicken , simmer for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Serve topped with your favorite garnish combinations.

5 comments:

  1. Gosh, that looks delicious! I will have to try that, even though Tracey does not eat meat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the recipe... I think I need something today with 87 jalapenos to burn the flu-gremlin :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum!! thanks for sharing!!! I have wanted to make this. How many does this recipe serve? Seems like it might be just for one? I would increase the ingredients :) catchatwithcarenandcody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caren,
      It makes about 6 to 8 servings. I had it again today for lunch and it was even better since the flavors mellowed.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing the recipe, it looks really good. I would go with the red peppers though instead of jalapenos- I am a whimp.

    ReplyDelete