Sunday, 17 July 2016

Scotch Broth Soup - but NOT of the Month!

Yes, I missed June...I made 2 soups last month (June) but did not take pictures. One was a Roasted Butternut Squash Soup and the other was Bean With Bacon Soup. 
But this month I will be doing 2 soups, one, the Scotch Broth, I made today and yesterday. This last week was hectic with my son Alex visiting. 

Alex and I were room mates when I was working in Calgary so we quickly slipped into our old routine. At least I was off work, so we had the opportunity to really have a great visit. We spent time with my sister and her husband (who I make the Soup of the Month for). Their son Justin (Alex's cousin) arrived for one night before they flew off to a family reunion in Winnipeg.
Justin made BBQed lamb chops when we went over for a visit and I was lucky that there were quite a few chops left over.

Yesterday I started to make the stock.
First I cut the meat off the 8 chop bones. I reserved the meat to add to the soup later
Next I added a diced onion, garlic and some sad baby carrots.

Next I covered with water and simmered for about 3 hours. 

I let the stock cool and just before bed, I strained it and put it in the fridge overnight so all the fat solidifies.

The next morning, it was easy to remove the fat from the stock. I then put it in the pot and got the vegetables ready. I am adding (fresh from the farm market) celery, peas, onion, carrots and garlic. 
I added the veggies and the stock to the pot with the diced lamb and let it simmer for about an hour (yes I did add a little salt).

After about an hour and a half, I added the shelled peas and 1/3 of a cup of barley to the pot.


I left the pot on a really low simmer for another hour and a half. 
It turned out perfectly!  I had it for supper with fresh bread from the bakery and it was delicious! 
And it will be even better tomorrow!
Nutrition Facts Scotch Broth
Amount Per 100 grams
Calories 33
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.1 g
1%
Saturated fat 0.5 g
2%
Cholesterol 2 mg
0%
Sodium 300 mg
10%
Potassium 65 mg
1%
Total Carbohydrate 3.9 g
1%
Dietary fiber 0.5 g
2%
Protein 2 g
4%


Recipe Stock Ingredients:
  • Approximately 8 oz meaty lamb bones
  • 8 cups water
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 2 cloves garlic (diced)
  • I stalk celery diced
  • ½ onion diced
  • Bay leaf
Soup Ingredients:
  • 5-6 cups stock
  • 1 cup diced lamb
  • 1 clove garlic diced
  • ½ onion diced
  • 2 carrots sliced
  • 1 to 1 ½  diced Celery stalks
  • 1 Tbsp. parsley
  • ½ cup peas
  • 1/3 cup barley
For those of you who don't eat meat, this is the same as my Mushroom and Barley recipe.
When making the soup I add 4-6 cups of vegetable stock and 2 cups of sliced mushrooms instead of the lamb stock and lamb. I also like to replace the onion with leeks.  I add all the ingredients at once and cook for about 1 hour.  Oh yeah, a little white wine added to the stock makes it delicious!!!

My sister has requested potato and leek soup and I will be making that in about 2 weeks. 



4 comments:

  1. I made one of your soups a while back. I'll be making this for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh delish! This looks too yummy.....my hubby loves homemade soups so I'll be giving these a whirl!

    Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this sounds delicious, Barb! Of course, ALL your soups sound delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just had a late dinner, but now I am hungry again, LOL!

    ReplyDelete